PDA

View Full Version : Huntington Dog Beach

CoffeaRobusta
12-03-2007, 07:35 AM
Fished for a couple of hours at Dog Beach, with the gf and the dog of course. Was using BG sand worms and BG sand crabs. Had a few bites and caught one hand-sized BSP. That's my first time catching something at Dog Beach. I am still learning what I am doing in the surf but it was nice to get out with the dog and the gf. I probably don't have the best set up, just using an old 5' trout pole. Dog beach has a shallow slope and I had trouble casting out far enough to work the whole surf zone effectively. Oh well, it's about the only place that we can take a dog on the beach.

Mike274
12-07-2007, 05:35 PM
Coffee,

Your alright dude just keep at it. The perch should have been here spawning by now, but there hasn't been much sign of that as yet. They will show up eventually and when they do you can catch some toads at 12+ inches believe it or not and those babies can put up a fight. You may see a milky liquid coming out of the bottom end but don't panic. Photo and release them quickly as they give birth to live young.

You don't need to cast out far for these either. If you want YFC (yellow fin croaker) or halibut then you will generally want to be a bit farther out but not always. When the purch are running it is not uncommon to hook-up a few feet away (Corbina too). A good setup though is a 7' rod (light action) rated at as low as 2# - 8# test line and 3/4 - 1ounce lures. I like a spinning reel with 4# Crystal Fireline. This line casts very well. Use a small swivel with a bead and 1/4 - 3/4oz sliding sinker depending on surf. Go as light as possible and still be able to keep the line tight to feel the bite.

Finding good troughs is the toughest. Especially at Dog Beach you will notice that swells form and break up to 3 different times before reaching shore. You may already know this but where the swells form and roll that is where there is deeper water. Where the waves break that is where the swell hits shallower water. It is best to cast quartering to the left or right instead of straight ahead (unless going long for other fish). Queartering casts allow the bait to stay in the troughs longer and move with the tide.

My 2 cents

Mike

Troutman65
12-10-2007, 12:49 PM
Thanks for the report Coffee

Mike , Thanks for sharing the info.

Troutman65