PDA

View Full Version : Tubing regulations

ediboy
12-02-2007, 08:01 PM
So i plan on heading out to puddingstone this tuesday[2 days]
and i thought i had everything i needed
then i forgott about laws and what not
so i started thinking and couldn't exactly remember what i need to be okay to float

i just bought my life vest today at walmart for 20 bucks
its nothing fancy but i mean it was the cheapest on they had that fits me the rest were kiddy sizes

anyway is taht it?
do i need some kind of bright flag?
or a whistle or horn?
i know some guys like to have one for safety
but can i get it later or will they just not let me on if i don't have one?

anything else?

thanks for teh help!!

-ediboy

maya373ufetnsa
12-03-2007, 06:23 AM
whistle would be smart

Ronira
12-03-2007, 07:49 AM
Whistle is required I'm pretty sure, as well as a landing net.

ediboy
12-03-2007, 11:14 AM
i heard landing nets aren't required for freshwater
their only required for saltwater
and iknow a whistle is smart btu i mean, its a huge lake so i doubt anyone will hear me anyway
so i'll just count on my swimming skills to get me back to shore if anything did go wrong.

Ronira
12-03-2007, 11:33 AM
Dude, if your in the middle of a lake with waders on in cold water your PFD is gonna save your hiney. Your swimming skills are going to be a much smaller part of the equation than you might think. Play smart and get a noise maker, the sound travels across a flat lake quite well and will aid someone trying to locate you should you need it. My :2cents:

maya373ufetnsa
12-03-2007, 12:47 PM
Yep, Waders filled up get heavy

Nessie Hunter
12-03-2007, 01:54 PM
Know, Before you go........
Where do all these IDEAS come from???
:bang: :bang:

Dont sweat the waders filling up, they become neutrally buoyant when they fill up.. They DO NOT pull you down..
Many lakes require Waders and no body contact, call before you go.

You are a WATER CRAFT. Know the rules.......

State Law ”
Personal Flotation Devices (Life Jackets)
All vessels must be equipped with U.S. Coast Guard–approved life jackets called
personal flotation devices or PFDs. The quantity and type depends on the length
of your vessel and the number of people on board and/or being towed. Each PFD
must be in good condition, the proper size for the intended wearer, and very
importantly, must be readily accessible! Readily accessible means you must be able
to put the PFD on in a reasonable amount of time in an emergency (vessel sinking,
on fire, etc.). PFDs should not be stowed in plastic bags, in locked or closed
compartments or have other gear stowed on top of them.

PFD Requirements
All vessels must have at least one Type
I, II, III, or V personal flotation device
that is U.S. Coast Guard–approved,
wearable and of the proper size for
each person on board. Sizing for PFDs
is based on body weight and chest size.
them.

Navigation Lights
Vessel operators must make sure that their vessels are equipped with the proper
navigation lights and use the lights during these conditions:
When away from the dock between sunset and sunrise
During periods of restricted visibility such as fog or heavy rain
The different types of navigation lights are described in “Night Navigation”

Unpowered Vessels Less Than 20 Meters
Unpowered Vessels When Underway
Unpowered vessels are sailing vessels or those that are paddled, poled, or rowed.
If less than 20 meters (65.6 ft.) long, these vessels must exhibit the lights as
shown in illustration 2:

If less than 7 meters (23.0 ft.) long, these vessels should:
If practical, exhibit the same lights as required for unpowered vessels less
than 20 meters (65.6 ft.) in length.
If not practical, have on hand at least one lantern or flashlight shining a
white light as shown in illustration 3.

Sound Producing Devices
In periods of reduced visibility or whenever a vessel operator needs to signal his
or her intentions or position, a sound producing device is essential. Navigation
rules for meeting head-on, crossing and overtaking situations described in Chapter
3 are examples of when sound signals are required. The sound producing device
may be a whistle, horn or bell that is audible for one-half mile.

If boating on federally controlled waters, the requirements for sound
producing devices are:
Vessels less than 65.6 ft. (20 meters) in length, which includes PWCs, are
required to carry on board a mouth, hand or power operated whistle or
horn, or some other means to make an efficient sound signal.

Local Regulations: Certain bodies of water have local restrictions as to type of
watercraft, areas open to use, permitted speeds, usage times, speed zones, and
pollution and sanitation control. Boaters must comply with local rules as well
as with state laws.

On top of the State & Federal boating laws, are the DFG fishing regulations...
You must have a landing net while Saltwater fishing..
Any GAFF is Illegal in fresh water...

Then there are the zillion common sense things that keep you alive and the fisheries healthy....

Come on you guys, your on the internet, use the resources available..... Google etc.......

Ronira
12-03-2007, 02:38 PM
It's not that they get heavy, they are very cumbersome to swim in. The cold water temp is the biggest factor. You tire much faster.

IncredibleHuck
12-03-2007, 02:54 PM
Now I wonder how many people actually take a life jacket with them when they tube? The only time I ever do is when i'm at Lake Gregory and thats because it's required there.. No other lakes such as Perris, Jenks, Silverwood, Mammoth, Bishop, ever require a PFD. Anyone ever got a ticket for not having one?

Nessie,

I wonder by definition of watercraft, that they're talking about stuff being registered? Such as a pontoon with a trolling motor?

Z-TUNAKILLER
12-03-2007, 03:50 PM
hey now, I was told any watercraft with a motor gas/trolling in the state of CA has to be registered to legally be on the water.

my ODC 1018 has a TM and i have it registered .

Eco-Blast Sport Air Horn, is what i use.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... &noImage=0 (http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0037806018252a&type=product&cmCat=Search_Results_NYR&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=HORN&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=HORN&noImage=0)

Z

FISH ON !

maya373ufetnsa
12-03-2007, 06:06 PM
I know my waders are a little big on me and my guess is when they fill up I would struggle to swim with the extra water weight. Even if the waders where neutrally buoyant most people in decent shape sink struggling against the extra weight would suck.

ediboy
12-03-2007, 10:56 PM
hahah thanks guys!!
i ended up purchasing a coast guard approved life vest at walmart.
only 20 bucks so ehh

Nessie Hunter
12-05-2007, 12:15 PM
Now I wonder how many people actually take a life jacket with them when they tube? The only time I ever do is when i'm at Lake Gregory and thats because it's required there.. No other lakes such as Perris, Jenks, Silverwood, Mammoth, Bishop, ever require a PFD. Anyone ever got a ticket for not having one?

Nessie,

I wonder by definition of watercraft, that they're talking about stuff being registered? Such as a pontoon with a trolling motor?

This is exactly the IDEAS I was talking about, (nothing personal bud, just a good example).

It is the LAW, (State and federal), EVERYWHERE (fresh & Salt)!! ! Puddingstone wont let you in unless you have a PFD. Know before you go..

You are subject to expensive-citation and ejection. If you know and decide not to, that is your call. Just make sure all the newbs have the right info to start with at least.... And dont cry WHEN they get you either....

YES:
Registration is also REQUIRED on ANY watercraft that is powered by ANY motor or over 16ft???.. That **includes** Float Tubes and Pontoons that have Electric trolling mtrs....

You would be surprised who reads these forums also...
Perris Ranger is one..!
I found that out over 3 yrs ago, when I was met at the gate before Perris opened one morning. He had read a Rendezvous thread and even knew my car.. It was a friendly meeting though...

I dont think I would have any trouble swimming to shore with waders full, My Hot Spot Float Fins work darn good (could probably even drag my Deflated Tube along). My PFD is hooked to the side of my Tube ??? My call.. Never had a whistle (my Call, but I can scream like a little girl). But I do wear a headlamp at night, have my PFD readily available, Waders when/where needed, us a lip gripper instead of a net (nets will cause Halibut & others, tail to split which in turn causes Tail Rot and death)... Lic always in plain view above the waist etc etc etc...

Its one thing to do something that you know is illegal, and something totally different to give bad info or your 'uninformed' opinion to someone, or a board full of viewers/readers that dont know whats legal and are trying to learn by asking others.....

Google is your friend, visit it often........ :thumb: "The truth is out there".

Ronira
12-05-2007, 05:58 PM
So Nessie, just what is it you consider to be uninformed here. What advice was given to this young man that makes you feel like you need to fix so we don't harm this guy. I want to share something with you pal. I was a whitewater guide for 19 yrs. I trained with the El Dorado County Sheriffs whitewater rescue team and worked on multiple movie and television river shoots as a lead whitewater rescue tech. I know what the hell I'm talking about. You can brag about being able to swim with your fins and drag your boat all you want but if you get struck by another boat, suffer a medical problem, or go hypothermic (spelling?) your not swimming for doo doo. Knowing the law is admirable but there is a lot more worth knowing and telling someone you don't need a whistle because you can scream like a girl is not sound safety advice in my opinion. But then again, what do I know?

sullyfish
12-05-2007, 06:44 PM
my 2 cents...

Buy a whistle/horn...Yelling/screaming to save your life could be a bad idea... :roll:

My $3.00 Walmart whistle has helped me out a couple of times with boats and curious seals/seal lions

IncredibleHuck
12-05-2007, 10:02 PM
So Nessie, just what is it you consider to be uninformed here. What advice was given to this young man that makes you feel like you need to fix so we don't harm this guy. I want to share something with you pal. I was a whitewater guide for 19 yrs. I trained with the El Dorado County Sheriffs whitewater rescue team and worked on multiple movie and television river shoots as a lead whitewater rescue tech. I know what the hell I'm talking about. You can brag about being able to swim with your fins and drag your boat all you want but if you get struck by another boat, suffer a medical problem, or go hypothermic (spelling?) your not swimming for doo doo. Knowing the law is admirable but there is a lot more worth knowing and telling someone you don't need a whistle because you can scream like a girl is not sound safety advice in my opinion. But then again, what do I know?

I gotta agree with ya...all I asked was how many people bring a pfd, and I didn't know I was giving out so much uninformed advice. I was also asking who ever got a ticket.

pescado abajo
12-05-2007, 11:33 PM

Nessie,

i take a pfd w/ me when i tube. i just throw it in the back of my fc4. not a big deal. i don't take a whistle w/ me, though. im really not sure what i'd do if my tube even sprung a leak. prob'ly start crying like a lil beyotch and start paddling like a mother f@#*er!

Nessie Hunter
12-09-2007, 12:28 PM

WOW, Not sure what the point is. This is a Float Tube topic, but with ALL that experience I would think you could do better then this..

Whistle is required I'm pretty sure, as well as a landing net.

The first remark about the Whistle sounds like a question (its a LAW), the second part about the NET is wrong (not required in fresh water)..

The original question was about "what is legally required to float tube", at least as I read it (but my reading comprehension may not be at your level)..
I responded with legal requirements at State and Federal levels, and a little personal experience..

What did you add????

Read the topic and the responses..
That is what "I" was responding to.. A lot of opinions that were wrong and some ideas that were wrong (including yours)..

Why send the guy out to get a ticket or live his life thinking the world is flat (wrong info)???

For Christs sake, all this info is at your fingertips (Google)..

After stating what is legally required and then adding "what I do" is *not* safety advice (comprehension?).. I have also forgotten my Fishing Lic a few times, and took the chance and fished anyway. But I dont recommend it.....

Nessie,

I gotta agree with ya...all I asked was how many people bring a pfd, and I didn't know I was giving out so much uninformed advice. I was also asking who ever got a ticket.

Better read your post again.. That was a lot more then a question on who brings one... Looks like a statement as to where they are NOT required also!!
And it was wrong/uninformed...
The topic starter said he was going to the Pudd. They ask at the gate there if you have a PFD (because it is the law to have one on a float tube, and so many dont carry them and get tickets for it).....

Sorry if the FACTS are hard for some of you to concede to. I dont mean to irritate you..... I can only 'suggest' that if your giving some one advice, at least look it up and make sure its right before you post it.......... Thats what I do most of the time, and still get it wrong now and then.... :oops:

Didnt mean to start an argument, just trying to get the CORRECT information out there after all the other responses that were wrong....

ediboy
12-09-2007, 01:00 PM
im afraid i started a total PFD argument post!
quit acting like boys fellas.

we just wanted some advice, your two cents are always appreciated but keep in mind they are still YOUR two cents.

i personally wear my pfd til i'm out to a good spot and just unbuckle and slide my arms off just incase something went wrong i could just slide my arms back in and buckle without too many problems
and yeah i found an old plastic whistle in the garage
im sure that'll be good enough.

;p

Ronira
12-09-2007, 02:07 PM
I dont think I would have any trouble swimming to shore with waders full, My Hot Spot Float Fins work darn good (could probably even drag my Deflated Tube along). My PFD is hooked to the side of my Tube ??? My call.. Never had a whistle (my Call, but I can scream like a little girl).You say this and then scold eveyone else for giving bad advice and not checking the law? That's my point Peace Ron