PDA

View Full Version : Avila Beach 5.1.07 Report

Ruger
05-02-2007, 10:30 AM
The water and wind was rough with white caps starting about 8:30.
The ole 14ft tin can couldn't make it out to our hot spots, so my buddy stayed within the breakwater.

3 Bolinas
2 Sculpin

4 were caught on a rock cod rig w/ squid, 1 was caught with braided line and lures.

I was not on this trip but will be there early sat. to make the trek to the mother lode.

Warden boarded boats on the opening day to check limits, etc. Then a DFG scientist of some sort was at the filet tables taking another look at the catch. Then hit up again by another agent to do a survey.

Warden states that their is no size limit on bottom fish. ????

v6v6v6
05-02-2007, 11:15 AM
What's a bolina?

Ruger
05-02-2007, 12:06 PM
One guy called it a johhny bass, they were yellow and silver. The warden called them Bolina.

sansou
05-02-2007, 12:21 PM
Nice report...wish we could see some pics! Next time!

Are Bolina brown rockfish?

Ruger
05-02-2007, 07:47 PM
Fish Counts
Boat Date Anglers Trip & Fish Info

Pacific Horizon 05-02-07 27 The half day boat came back with 135 Red rockcod and 81 assorted rockfish for 27 anglers. the big fish was a 7lb red caught by Mike Shipman of A.G.

Patriot 05-02-07 5 The salmon trip went out with 5 guys they hooked 8-10 fish but were only able to get 3 fish. This is why we call it fishing not catching. The big fish was 20lb king caught by Bruce Vanderhoef of Goleta.

This is out of Avila.

Brown Rockfish
(Sebastes auriculatus)
Scorpionfish Family

Other Names: Bolina, Chocolate Bass, Brown Bass, Brown Rock Cod

Description: The basic body colors are various shades of brown overlaid with dark brown, red-brown, or blackish mottling. Red-brown, brown, or orangish stripes radiate back from the eyes and upper jaw resembling Copper Rockfish but Coppers don't have the identifying prominent dark blotch on the rear gill cover.

Range: Northern Gulf of Alaska to southern Baja California. Particularly abundant in central and southern Puget Sound and northern California to southern Baja California. From very shallow inshore water to 444 feet. Most common to 396 feet.

Size: Heavy-bodied. Up to 22.4".

Habitat: Inhabit hard bottoms and sandy areas near rocks, dock pilings, debris, and low profile reefs. Often lie quietly on the bottom relying on camouflage to protect them.

Behavior: Unconcerned, allowing close views when approached with slow nonthreatening movements.

ID Clues: Prominent dark blotch on the rear part of the gill cover. Thin lateral line visible from gill cover to base of tail.

- Contributed by Georgia Arrow

I believe these two to be the same.

Ambassadorhawg
05-02-2007, 07:52 PM
Yes, BOLINA are Brown Rockfish and they eat the small heavy iron very well! Big population up on the Central Coast up shallow. This fish is usually found in water less than 150 feet. Very fun on light bass gear!!!

n1ckxlam
05-02-2007, 10:38 PM
correct on the Bolina or brownie, thats what we callem up north anyways

you crazy socal kids call like four different kinds of rockfish johnny bass
lol justt playyyinngg

Nick

Ruger
05-03-2007, 07:50 AM
Come on Nick, I'm Cen Cal. This is the second time the central lingo was different from the south.

Ambassadorhawg
05-03-2007, 03:14 PM
Hey Ruger and Cen Cal Boys!

SLO-town is my home away from home. LOVE the Mountain Biking up there as well as the Cods. I will be up there a few times this year, expect a PM from me when I am planning a trip up. Perhaps we could go bendo together?

Ruger
05-04-2007, 08:28 AM
The Cental coast is my play ground also. Now that the sun is coming out you should hit Pirates Cove, the naked POLY girls are wide open this time of year!!!

JapanRon
05-04-2007, 09:01 AM
Hi Ruger,

burrrrrrrrr !! :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the info on the central coast. We don't get much from there but it's interesting.

JapanRon