PDA

View Full Version : bearing grease

El Weirdo
12-01-2007, 10:56 AM
like to hear some opinions in what would be best bearing grease for my boat trailer..to prevent washout

thanks a newbie boat owner...

todate been following my owners manual..

seahonk
12-02-2007, 01:34 AM
All i know is that i bought my grease from a boat shop and its a blue grease and it say's boat wheel bearing grease , if thats any help .

Tail Chaser
12-02-2007, 10:43 AM
Make sure your grease seals are good. Or put new ones in.
Bearing buddys keep the hub pressureized. Keeping water out.
I run AMSOIL marine synthetic grease.
Grease the boat and the trl with there grease.
I also run there synthetic gear oil and motor oil

El Weirdo
12-03-2007, 07:03 PM
thanks for the tips..

Nessie Hunter
12-05-2007, 12:30 PM
I would make sure it is a "Marine" bearing grease, not only corrosion resistant in Saltwater, but has much better properties for being water proof and lasting longer... :thumb:

muskyman
12-05-2007, 07:52 PM
Ya I use the penzoil marine grease, but like nessie hunter says, just make sure its made for boat trailer applications and make sure you have good seals. Spend the extra bucks and buy the double lipped seals. They are worth a million bucks dude. When one seal starts to fail, you will see some grease leaking, but the other seal will help keep the water out and it will allow you to take a few more trips / or get home ok. Check championtrailers.com - they have the best stuff and the best advise for trailers. Most people tend to get cheap when it comes to working on their boat trailers - but what they fail to realize is just how important that trailer is. It gets your boat to the lake and back. Next time you launch your boat and your park your rig ....... take a look at some of the other trailers in the parking lot, take note on the way they are set up and this is also the best time to look at yours. You have the boat off the trailer and you have full access to everything you need to maintain.

soulsurfer
12-08-2007, 10:59 PM
The way I see it, it's not the grease but how often time you repack it. here is a link to a bearing service bible that I follow religiously. Twice a year and it will keep you rolling down the freeway safely.

http://users.westco.net/~tandjlm/Inform ... arings.htm (http://users.westco.net/~tandjlm/Information/Bearings.htm)

Tail Chaser
12-17-2007, 03:32 PM
My owners manual on my trail-rite trl says, Must use high quality double lip grease seals. Trl came with bearings buddys.
They say marine wheel bearing is not needed. No water gets inside.I give my grease zerks one shot every trip.120/140 fwy miles per trip.
When it comes to boating, Do the research,and always buy the best quality marine parts available.
No comparison between automotive parts and marine parts.

Fastfish
01-07-2008, 05:29 PM
I found something by accident that is awesome this grease is not something that most of us would ever even look at its made by the Sea-Doo folks its a synthetic white water-proof grease lubricity is incredible as is the staying ability of this grease I use it and swear by it.

Its a little on the pricey side though so don't be shocked.

Dude47
01-07-2008, 06:29 PM
Thats what I used, the seadoo stuff, its like 15bucks a tube, but it is awsome, the stuff doesn't wash away for anyhting, I had gotten some on my hands, laquer thinner wouldn't even take it off, I had to use acetone and wosh my hands with soap really well afterwards, and it is synthetic so it wont dry up like a lot of the other stuff will when sitting for a long time. There is some stuff yamaha make that is pretty much the same stuff, you can usually find it at a powersports dealer or parts store.