PDA

View Full Version : 15# tip to lite for plastics?

Tail Chaser
12-01-2007, 10:26 AM
Ive got an old 15/40 lb Fenwick Pacific stick With a Saltist 30 on it. (30lb Mono)
Turns out it sucks for throwing Tady 45s.(easy backlash) And throwing plastics was not very impressive.
Wondering if going to a lighter reel, Diawa Sealine 20x with 20lb Mono with the Fenwick 15/40 rod for throwing 1oz plastics etc would work pretty good?
Then mount my Saltist 30 reel on stiffer rod, Something with a stiffer 20lb tip? For throwing Tady 45s, 2oz sliding egg sinkers Laced with a whole squid on a 4/0 circle hook.(Chasin them WSB :mrgreen: )
Ive already got a Saltist 40 mounted on a Calstar 700H 30/80# with 40lb Mono For throwing/Jigging the Tady 4/0, etc
Going to start using one of these setups with 6oz torpedo sinkers. With the dropper loop, Or drifting for the big halibuts.
I Ive also got 6/0 wide body Pen reel on a 50/100 lb roller tip rod.(50lb Mono) Bought for shark fishing/bottom fishing :roll:
Im guessing that heavy setup should used for dropper loop fishing all seasons?
Soooo...... What Da Ya Think? Is the 15/40# rod only good for flylining or a dive flag pole :bang:

uscjeffer
12-01-2007, 06:52 PM
If I recall the 15/40 Fenwick is a glass rod correct? I would use that as a 20-25 lb live bait rod...matched up with maybe your Daiwa Sealine 20x.

For your Saltist 30t I woud look into an 8/9 foot jigstick. Back it with 50 lb spectra and put a 100 yard top shot...this will work to tossing iron...or you can look at a 700m which will work in a pinch tossing iron as well as work for fishing dropper loops, egg sinkers, flylining...for the Wsb and yt

As for plastics I would go with a 7-8ft rod (I prefer graphite) rated 10-20lb and match it up with a levelwind...fishing plastics is a lot easier on a levelwind

fish4keep
12-01-2007, 06:56 PM
I would say it depend on how long the rod your using to throw the iron and/or plastic. I don't think it really matter much if you drop down in line size compare to the lenght of the rod. With the longer rod, it shouldn't be a problem on either 15 or 30 #...

Ambassadorhawg
12-02-2007, 07:17 AM
Depending on how skilled you are with fighting fish on light line, I would use a 7-8' rod with medium action and 12-20 pound test for plastics. I like the Calstar 270 or 270H. This can also double as a halibut drifter, or live bait rig. As for a reel, you should invest in true quality for this outfit. Get a Calcutta 400TE. I promise you won't regret it. Sealines are great reels but not really smooth enough to finesse fish with plastics & light line, they are more of a work horse reel.

For throwing iron, you should have a rod that is solely dedicated to that. Depending on how tall you are, I would use an 8.5-10' rod for throwing iron. Calstar blanks like 6485(8.5'), J90 or 540(9') or something longer if you are a bigger fellow. I use 30 pound test exclusively for iron fishing.

Save your 6/0 set-up for sharks or trolling only. Too big to fish for bottom fish since we can't fish super deep anymore. A 40 pound rig is perfect for bottom fishing these days.

I would think that the Fenwick rod would be ok for flylining live bait as long as it has a soft tip action.

Tail Chaser
12-02-2007, 08:53 AM
Thanks for the reply guys,
Yes the Fenwick 15/40 Pacific stick is a glass rod.
Could put a Sealine 20x on it.(flylining) Probably waste of space on the boat.
The Saltist 30.Mount it on a 8ft jig stick or a Calstar 270H/700M?
Like to keep my rods at 7ft. They store on the boat better.Also the boat only has 7'x6' of walk around room on the stern.
Need to use caution swinging rods,Not to hit the radar arch throwing iron straight off the stern. :shock:
Wonder what distance is gained,(Throwing iron) Compairing a 8' rod to a 7 ft rod anyway :roll:
If I really need to throw plastics, (For intertainment value) Probably will release all calico bass anyway. :roll:
Maybe put a level wind reel on the Fenwick rod. 15lb/20lb test. Then upgrade the rod later if needed.
I actually had 20lb test on the Saltist 30 at one time. Kept hooking bat rays at the islands. Broke off/spooled, Or took to long getting them back to the boat for release. :bang:
Then switched to 30/40 lb mono on the Saltist 30/40. Took care of that problem :mrgreen:

uscjeffer
12-03-2007, 04:50 PM
i wouldn't think the sealine/fenwick would be a waste to have...I think that will be your goto rig for drifting for butts...softer tip, pop on like a 2 oz torpedo and do a nice slow drift.

I would do the saltist on a 700m personally. Thats a killer combo. As for flinging an iron, it all depends on how well you can do it. I've seen guys cast a mile with a jigmaster and a 6'6" rod...granted I've also seen guys cast like 10 feet with a 9 ft rod and a torium...

I think your missing out bigtime by not having a setup to toss plastics etc...Get a decent 7 ft rod shimano teramar, california calico special (from turners) they run like $120 a pop or so and both have a lifetime warranty. Get a calcutta 400, abu 6500, corvalus 400 sized reel and you will be money. Will work for chucking plastics, soaking bait, tossing light iron, drifting for butts, you name it....

flopps1
12-06-2007, 11:36 AM
i wouldn't think the sealine/fenwick would be a waste to have...I think that will be your goto rig for drifting for butts...softer tip, pop on like a 2 oz torpedo and do a nice slow drift.

I would do the saltist on a 700m personally. Thats a killer combo. As for flinging an iron, it all depends on how well you can do it. I've seen guys cast a mile with a jigmaster and a 6'6" rod...granted I've also seen guys cast like 10 feet with a 9 ft rod and a torium...

I think your missing out bigtime by not having a setup to toss plastics etc...Get a decent 7 ft rod shimano teramar, california calico special (from turners) they run like $120 a pop or so and both have a lifetime warranty. Get a calcutta 400, abu 6500, corvalus 400 sized reel and you will be money. Will work for chucking plastics, soaking bait, tossing light iron, drifting for butts, you name it....

USCjeffer is dead on! Great advice! A nice 7 or 7'6 inshore rod like a Teramar and a Calcutta 400 would be perfect for the plastics. You may even take a look at the Curado 300. Nice reel with up to 15# of drag. By some chance you hook up on larger game like a sea bass or yellowtail, with a little finessing you'll still have a good chance of landing those fish as well.

Tail Chaser
12-08-2007, 06:17 AM

USCjeffer is dead on! Great advice! A nice 7 or 7'6 inshore rod like a Teramar and a Calcutta 400 would be perfect for the plastics. You may even take a look at the Curado 300. Nice reel with up to 15# of drag. By some chance you hook up on larger game like a sea bass or yellowtail, with a little finessing you'll still have a good chance of landing those fish as well.Thanks for the great advice guys,
Just bought the Calstar 700M For the Saltist 30
Bought a Diawa 30X for the Glass fenwick 15/40 Pacific stick
Will be getting a Calcutta 400B with a teramar 7.6 MH Very shortly
Now I need to work on not doing so many solo trips
Seems kind of creepy inviting internet strangers on board :secret:

SanDimasLMB
12-09-2007, 08:54 PM

USCjeffer is dead on! Great advice! A nice 7 or 7'6 inshore rod like a Teramar and a Calcutta 400 would be perfect for the plastics. You may even take a look at the Curado 300. Nice reel with up to 15# of drag. By some chance you hook up on larger game like a sea bass or yellowtail, with a little finessing you'll still have a good chance of landing those fish as well.Thanks for the great advice guys,
So a Calstar 700M for the Saltist 30.
And a Calcutta 400 TE with a Teramar rod or a Calstar 270H is what it well be. 8) Have not researched them rods yet.

Don't forget to check out the Calcutta rods from Shimano which are a tad bit more at $180-$200, and beyond that, get a G-Loomis Pro-Blue which is around $240 and is a great rod for rockfishing to albacore