PDA

View Full Version : Another good deed done....Karma...

Greg Madrigal
11-29-2007, 10:22 PM
Headed outta the usual Huntington Harbor during an extremely hi tide Tuesday with my buddy Scott. We were heading out into pristine conditions. The water was moving into the harbor, the air temp was a perfect 71degrees at 9am, and water was around 59 degrees. As we headed out of the harbor just in front of the fuzz (aka Harbor patrol), we spotted this poor fella. Apparently, he got tangled in some fishing line and now, was doomed to die a VERY unpleasant death. This sign is near the very tip of the rock jetty that protects HH. Nobody is allowed on it, and is VERY inaccessible anywho. The poor guy was flapping, then resting, flapping, then resting. It was KILLING ME to see him tangled and hanging upside down knowing it was a death sentence caused by my favorite pastime.

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l191/gregmadrigal/PB261561.jpg

We circled around and around trying to come up with a plan. Everything seemed to b working against us. First, the fuzz. Second, this portion of the harbor is CLOSED at all times to anything other than traversing in a motorized craft to or from the ocean. The Seal Beach Navel Weapons Station calls this home, and they load armament onboard military ships like this one that was docked...This ship is watched over EXTREMLY WELL, by a fast small ARMED boat. Not sure if he could see me from where he was at to the harbor entrance... DANGIT?! Look closely, and you can see the small armed boat in front of the ship.

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l191/gregmadrigal/PB271567.jpg

Lastly, the swells rolling in, and trying to get close enough to those jagged boulders is like playing russian roulette. The swells were unpredictable, and dangerous, as sharp barnacle encrusted boulders suddenly emerged as the water rushed away, or a large swell would rush in carrying water (or my Boat) up onto the rocks only to leave them high-n-dry a moment later.

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l191/gregmadrigal/PB261560.jpg

I circled and circled the outside of the jetty thinking that we should just get on with the trip. We debated a plan. Should we leave, or try. Trying just seemed impossible! The fuzz was still within a mile (Binocular range) and moving out to sea slowly. We almost left a few times, but I kept looking for a way.
I kept thinking that even if I could get close enough, the rocks would be slippery, and I'd be making a trip to the ER.....Ayayay....What to do?!

Suddenly, the fuzz guns it and gets outta sight pretty quick. I decided to check out the rocks on the inside. I did the illegal, and darted inside the mouth to quickly find the perfect spot. There was a large boulder overhanging the water. It was flat(ish) on top dry, and not slippery. Most importantly, there were no dangerous submerged rocks below it. This allowed me to get up within stepping distance. The swells were far calmer her too. Scott grabbed a pair of side cutters, and hunched at the bow as I positioned the boat into our boulder. All the while I am HOPING we don't get busted!

Scott leaps and makes it!
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l191/gregmadrigal/PB261562.jpg
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l191/gregmadrigal/PB261563.jpg

I throw it into reverse so I don't crash into the rocks. At the same time I am super-relieved that he didn't slip on the first step. The rocks were very uneven, so it took him a bit to reach the trapped bird that was only 30 feet away from the drop-off point. He reached up, and snipped the line.
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l191/gregmadrigal/PB261564.jpg

The bird fell 3 feet to the rock belowched up, and snipped the line. The bird fell 3-4 feet to the rock below. He sat there exhausted and just looking around.
I yelled to Scott to cut the remaining line from his injured foot. He complied, then hastily returned for a picture perfect reboard.

We zipped off to L.B. to fish the outside of the Breakwall. We managed 2 mack-attack to beat the skunkola. Then these guys showed up for the brunch-time entertainment.
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l191/gregmadrigal/PB261565.jpg

We decided to target halibut, so we bought some race horse sardines at the bait barge. We drifted in and around Island White for a few hours for no luv, 'cept the 3 short bites that Scott farmed!LOL!

Headed back th HH to drift some more. I've had some pretty good luck there in the last few weeks.

No luv there either tho, so we packed it in around 2:30pm.

It really was a glorius day, and I just chalk that up to "Time on the water" as far as the fishing was concerned.

I call the other thing, Karma.... :D

Peaceful & Happy Holiday to all my fellow FNN'ers.

GM

Baseballer44
11-29-2007, 10:47 PM
8) Very nice my friend, very nice.

IncredibleHuck
11-29-2007, 10:48 PM
Wow! What a great day out there! It's nice to see other people who go out of their way for poor animals, when no one else will!

Keep up the good work! :appl: :appl: :appl:

legacy1
11-29-2007, 10:59 PM
You got real lucky.

sansou
11-29-2007, 11:08 PM
Good job on the bird!

That's true sportsmanship.

Troutman65
11-29-2007, 11:17 PM
GM, Good job on helping out that poor gull !!!! :D Awesome you were able to do it and not get into trouble with the Fuzz and the Navy.

Thanks for the report and pics.

Troutman65

one_leg
11-29-2007, 11:27 PM
Nice Greg.

One_Leg

uandme
11-30-2007, 12:55 AM
that's quite honorable what you did. thank you. :D

Brad100
11-30-2007, 07:10 AM
Good job, great report. Instead of taking the risk, I think I'd call harbor patrol and ask them to report the injured bird to the animal rescue people. Also, if you informed HP about the situation, I doubt that they'd ticket you for helping the bird... ???

JapanRon
11-30-2007, 10:00 AM
Hi Greg Madrigal,

Great play-by-play on the birdie !! We anglers don't always like them when they are being pests but ... like you .... we respect their right to exist along side us living there little birdy lives !!

Yes ... I think there's some KARMA collected there .... whether it is realized sooner or later is up to the fates. Wednesday ... we noticed a bunch of his or her breatheran wheeling and diving on the 'Shoe' and Mike said that it was a bunch of Winter-time Yellowtail crashing on bait!

Maybe someday ... the favor will be returned to you and a smaller boats stealth get you hooked up!!

JapanRon

k3vin_kim
11-30-2007, 10:08 AM
I bet you one day that same bird is going to crash on the water and when you follow it, it'll lead you to an enormous fish. Keep your eye out for that bird greg.

SanDimasLMB
11-30-2007, 02:52 PM
Karma is going to be good for you guys. A very ballzy move, but you'll be repaid by mother nature next time out. Good job. :thumb:

chilibeast
11-30-2007, 05:45 PM
nice work! fish will bite next time!

troutdog
11-30-2007, 05:57 PM
You da man Greg...how did it taste :wink: Quite heroic there sir, big fish coming your way soon buddy!

TD

rocklee
11-30-2007, 09:55 PM
Great job!

Nice work on the rescue mission!

fishmaniac
12-01-2007, 03:28 AM
It was KILLING ME to see him tangled and hanging upside down knowing it was a death sentence caused by my favorite pastime. Way to go bro! MUCH respect.

Rambogottafish
12-01-2007, 07:27 AM
I heard they taste like chicken :wink: . Gallant comes to mind. Glad to see it worked out, dangerous though. Nemo just loves the MINE birds.

Seatech
12-01-2007, 07:59 AM
Right on Greg!!! You did it proper!!!

Just remember, if you encounter a seal tangled in fishing line in the water, run the boat over him as many times as it takes to free him :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tail Chaser
12-01-2007, 10:38 AM
Good job on the bird saviour.
Any day on the water is a good day. With or Without fish :banana:

Beeracuda211
12-01-2007, 01:33 PM
GREG< STOP FOOLING AROUND WITH THOSE BIRDS AND CATCH SOME FISH>>> CALL ME IF YOU NEED A PROFESSIONAL PILLAGER>>>LMAO!

B/C

ahhvtec
12-02-2007, 10:08 AM
Speechless, nice work Greg, you are one good guy&#46;&#46;&#46;

Duc

Gmoney
12-02-2007, 04:31 PM
A+ Greg!!!!!
you deserve the best&#46;&#46;&#46;&#46;karma is a goooood thing to have on your side &#58;D
very cool report and pix&#46;&#46;&#46;&#46;thanks for sharing them with us
G$

RSXchris
12-03-2007, 05:26 PM
&#58;appl&#58; &#58;appl&#58; &#58;appl&#58; &#58;appl&#58; &#58;beer&#58; &#58;beer&#58; &#58;beer&#58; my hats off to you mate&#46; it will be returned with karma i m sure of that

Sparky70
12-03-2007, 05:39 PM
TOOK SOME HAIR TO DO THAT, KUDOS TO U GUYS&#46; &#58;lol&#58; &#58;lol&#58; &#58;lol&#58;

Greg Madrigal
12-03-2007, 10:06 PM
Funny thing is Sparky, I ain't got no hair! &#58;D &#58;D &#58;D

Thanks for all the supportive comments guys&#46; Remember, PLEASE dispose of your extra line in a recycle bin or in a waste receptacle, not off the back of a boat, etc&#46;&#46;

GM