PDA

View Full Version : fly fishing question???

fisherkid47
11-27-2007, 07:31 PM
Does anyone out there know how to fly fish lakes for trout while tubing. I have only fly fished in streams so I don't know much such as what kind of flies to use and how to fish the flies. Any tips or advice will help me out a lot, Thanks

Also, does anyone know what stores to get some straps at that would be good for securing things onto a tube. http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/store ... rchResults (http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10151&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&partNumber=59937&hvarTarget=search&cmCat=SearchResults)

I tried walmart, but they had no clue what I was talking about. One lady even told me to try the arts and crafts section.

See Chris Fish
11-27-2007, 08:30 PM
I don't fly-fish, but it looks like the same motion as usual. Saw one guy at Irvine Lake flyin' it in a tube. Looked the same as the guys I've seen in streams.

Try a hardware store for the straps.
What are you attaching?
I made a PVC holder for my rods. I use keyrings, clips, and bungie cords to attach things to the "D" rings on the tube.

ediboy
11-27-2007, 10:39 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=yZaWojSz9es

that guy float tubes and flys.
you can watch the video and you can see how he does it
if its any help..

Flying
11-28-2007, 01:14 AM
All I do is flyfish from a tube.

I troll/twitch #10 wollybuggers(mainly black or olive) with a full sink line. Catch just about anything that swims.

Where to fish kinda depends on where you live. Perris is my home lake so thats where I go the most.

Mira Mar is a nice litte lake to tube for trout in the winter. Very little boat traffic because no electric motors are allowed.
That was the first lake I tubed.

Check fabric/craft shops for the webbing and clamps.

Gary C.
11-28-2007, 07:38 AM
I mostly throw a Bugger with a nymph dropper when fishing from my tube. Bead head flys will get your flys down deep enough most of the time but a sinking line can come in very handy in deeper water. Most of my fish come from near the bank. Cast out and strip towards yourself, vary the speed and length of your strip until you find out what is working. As mentioned above it is also productive to cast out and slowly troll your line behind you. I mostly troll to find the fish then cast and strip over an area that is producing. Your legs can get very tired if you try to troll all day. I seldom have the patience for it but a midge suspended just off the bottom useing a strike indicator can be good also.
Gary C.

fisherkid47
11-28-2007, 04:09 PM
Thanks for the advice. Can you also troll or strip line with a strike indicator?

ediboy
11-28-2007, 07:03 PM
i dont think it'll be that accurate
since their just made so you can see any sudden twitches in your line
their not floaters ment to be dragged .

fisherkid47
11-28-2007, 07:11 PM
ohh, cause I saw a couple people using them while trolling at lake elizabeth. I think the water just probably has to be really calm if you do use an indicator.

Gary C.
11-29-2007, 11:04 AM
I tube Elizabeth some and can not think of a reason that you would need a indicator. If you really want to use a strike Indicator while trolling get some of the little styrofoam football shaped ones. Sports Chalet has them and they also have everything you need in the way of straps. They will even buid costom straps and buckles if that is what you need, no extra charge.
Gary C.