PDA

View Full Version : Colorado Troutin' San Juan Mountains

sansou
11-26-2007, 11:39 PM
Finally back from a long trek around the southwest. Left a week before Thanksgiving and flew out to Albuquerque and drove the 4 hours or so to Pagosa Springs CO, only after gorgin myself on anyhting that had the infamous Hatch chillies in it!

As luck would have it, on arrival I had some quick emergency documents I need to pump out and fax, so I spent the first few hours trying to work....but with a view like this from the desk, I realized there is no way I could ever set up my practice in CO. More daydreaming than work was accomplished...
[attachment=8:f43ff]Colorado Fishing Nov 2007 011.jpg[/attachment:f43ff]

I eventually made it into town to fax my crap and stop by my favorite fly-shop for some wooly buggers and beadeds I knew I would need for some planned river outings. This is a pic of downtown Pagosa, 100 feet or so behind the shop where you can take a rod from the store and actually try the flies and rod!!! I think it's kinda funny listening in to the hardcore fly guys pray about the possiblity of one last late season Blue-Winged Olive hatch, or some other fly stuff I've yet to come to truly appreciate or understand. I know it kills them to sell their meticulously tied local patterns to some doofus from California who's going to tie them to a spinning reel and small bubble.... Ha ha!
[attachment=7:f43ff]Colorado Fishing Nov 2007 013.jpg[/attachment:f43ff]

The following are pics from Hatcher Lake which is a private 80 acre lake walking distance from the front door. I've been fishing this dock for the past 10 years or so. The lake gets stocked a couple times a year with supplemental subcatchable rainbows, and has a thriving population of brown trout, along with a smattering of rough fish. The rainbows in there can get huge. In years past I've nailed 4 and 5 lbers... This last trip I pulled a bunch in the 2.5-4lb category with one notably thick and gravid one (see below). As of this year, and much heated debate among the homeowners association, it is now artificial only for all trout. This is where I go to test gear and goof around when I have 20 minutes to kill here and there.

Here's me with one of the neighbors. I inadvertently caught this stocked White Amur on a wooly and bubble, which is the hands down favorite way there for many of the anglers if they aren't into spinners and stuff. I've never had one actually take a fly, though I have snagged a bunch over the years (and broke off!) on spoons while fishing shoreline in the fall for browns. This late in to the season it's a little tougher catching fish on hardware, as the water temps are down low and the fish slowing down, hence the fly/bubble combo, or any insect imitations, as opposed to baitfish imitators (ie. spoons/spinners).

[attachment=4:f43ff]Colorado Fishing Nov 2007 070.jpg[/attachment:f43ff]

Here's a rainbow that thinks it's going to productively lay some eggs.... Man was that thing fat!
[attachment=3:f43ff]Colorado Fishing Nov 2007 090.jpg[/attachment:f43ff]
[attachment=2:f43ff]Colorado Fishing Nov 2007 091.jpg[/attachment:f43ff]

I caught a few at Hatcher on another afternoon with some Lip Ripperz spoon. I wish I got a better pics with the spoons in their mouths..
[attachment=1:f43ff]Colorado Fishing Nov 2007 087.jpg[/attachment:f43ff]
[attachment=0:f43ff]Colorado Fishing Nov 2007 088.jpg[/attachment:f43ff]

sansou
11-27-2007, 12:06 AM
(having problems with the order of my pics while doing the report...sorry)

This time around, the old man and I decided we would try a new lake he had heard about: Hunter's Lake. It's past Wolf Creek Pass and requires a little quickie high altitude hike to access it. The hiking sucked, as we were a little over 10,000 feet up, but the fishing was a ton of fun as it took some creativity to figure out what really turned these guys on. It's been years since the last time I fall fished for brooks.... All said and done we landed about 6 or 7 dinks a piece, and kept 4 of the nicer specimens. It was a blast sight fishing nearly every one, as brookies come very close to shores and favor insects. We never landed anything "large", but had fun stalking the little guys.
[attachment=10:27fec]Colorado Fishing Nov 2007 020.jpg[/attachment:27fec]
[attachment=9:27fec]Colorado Fishing Nov 2007 021.jpg[/attachment:27fec]
[attachment=8:27fec]Colorado Fishing Nov 2007 026.jpg[/attachment:27fec]
Half the lake was frozen with the brookies darting in and out from under it... Very frustrating at times.
[attachment=7:27fec]Colorado Fishing Nov 2007 027.jpg[/attachment:27fec]
I think this was the first that fell for a "00" brassy red dotted fly-spinner
[attachment=6:27fec]Colorado Fishing Nov 2007 028.jpg[/attachment:27fec]
Here's another that led me to start flylining a plastic grasshopper. It worked wonders...though I wish I had brought more "insect" lures that day...
[attachment=5:27fec]Colorado Fishing Nov 2007 029.jpg[/attachment:27fec]
[attachment=4:27fec]Colorado Fishing Nov 2007 030.jpg[/attachment:27fec]
[attachment=3:27fec]Colorado Fishing Nov 2007 049.jpg[/attachment:27fec]
[attachment=2:27fec]Colorado Fishing Nov 2007 032.jpg[/attachment:27fec]
Too cold to be wearing the T57 !!! That dang T-shirt has done some international traveling this year.....from Mexico to Europe, to the Southwest U.S states.....!!! Yeah!!
[attachment=1:27fec]Colorado Fishing Nov 2007 042.jpg[/attachment:27fec]
The old man hooks up!!
[attachment=0:27fec]Colorado Fishing Nov 2007 047.jpg[/attachment:27fec]

sansou
11-27-2007, 12:38 AM
On the way down from Hunter's that day, we came across a cool little stream. Who can resist pulling out wild brownies?
[attachment=11:0c6b5]Colorado Fishing Nov 2007 061.jpg[/attachment:0c6b5]
[attachment=10:0c6b5]Colorado Fishing Nov 2007 062.jpg[/attachment:0c6b5]
The old man thinks he can pull his brownie out too... ha ha !!!
[attachment=9:0c6b5]Colorado Fishing Nov 2007 063.jpg[/attachment:0c6b5]
[attachment=8:0c6b5]Colorado Fishing Nov 2007 064.jpg[/attachment:0c6b5]
We fished it until we couldn't see anymore and realized we were far away from the truck! Nothing huge was ever caught, but there sure were some dumb & hungry brownies!
[attachment=7:0c6b5]Colorado Fishing Nov 2007 066.jpg[/attachment:0c6b5]

Here's some pics of a few other lakes I hit around the Pagosa area. I was on a quest for cutties in particular, and actually landed 1 nice specimen in the famous Conejos River (Gold Medal DOW river), but of all days to not bring the digital....well, ya'll know how that story goes... :bang:

Big Meadows Lake: that day I caught nothing but 8-15 incher rainbows. Nothing to write home about, except the scenery which is fabulous.
[attachment=6:0c6b5]Colorado Fishing Nov 2007 053.jpg[/attachment:0c6b5]
[attachment=5:0c6b5]Colorado Fishing Nov 2007 055.jpg[/attachment:0c6b5]

Here's another lake, forgot the name, I fished it real quick on another day for one rainbow trout...but it was a decent size one. Took her home for obligatory pics in the yard.
[attachment=4:0c6b5]Colorado Fishing Nov 2007 052.jpg[/attachment:0c6b5]
[attachment=3:0c6b5]Colorado Fishing Nov 2007 079.jpg[/attachment:0c6b5]

I ended my fishing trip hitting a few other "lesser" surrounding streams, but never tied into the cuttie that I desperately was seeking for a T57 shot. I'm thinking Spring 08 will be my next shot at them!

And now.....some dashboard photography circa 70 m.p.h. en route from ShipRock New Mex to Gallup (destination Phx, AZ), while on the cell giving Paddy (of the Pirate Crew) some AZ trout fishing spots to try out. Yes, the driving was that boring, and Indian Fry bread makes for slippy fingers on a compact Canon digital....
[attachment=2:0c6b5]Colorado Fishing Nov 2007 092.jpg[/attachment:0c6b5]
[attachment=1:0c6b5]Colorado Fishing Nov 2007 094.jpg[/attachment:0c6b5]
[attachment=0:0c6b5]Colorado Fishing Nov 2007 098.jpg[/attachment:0c6b5]

City Dad
11-27-2007, 11:19 AM
... I think it's kinda funny listening in to the hardcore fly guys pray about the possiblity of one last late season Blue-Winged Olive hatch, or some other fly stuff I've yet to come to truly appreciate or understand. I know it kills them to sell their meticulously tied local patterns to some doofus from California who's going to tie them to a spinning reel and small bubble.... Ha ha!

Sansou, I can sense the force is strong within you. Why must you continue to deny your destiny? It is time for you to take up the long rod and go forth... Forsake the spinning rod! Do not fear that your form is imperfect (as long as I draw beath you can never be the worst caster in the world!)

Repeat after me; "I will no longer insult trout with a bobber." "I will pursue salmonoids in the manner God designed them for."

Step into the light.

And, oh, nice rainbow. And very nice brookies.

Troutman65
11-27-2007, 01:25 PM
Nice going on the Brookies, browns, and bows and 1 carp.

Sure is nice county up there. :D

Whats with the one pic that has a rainbow coming down on the person? Trippy photo.

Congrats on your catch.

Thanks for all the great photos and sharing on FNN.

Troutman65

IncredibleHuck
11-27-2007, 02:08 PM
Sansou,

What a great trip! That area is so beautiful. I was in parts of that area in Septemberr, when I went on a Missions trip to Farmington New Mexico and to go help out at the Navajo Resveration. That area has some awesome scenery. What sucks is the San Juan river runs through farmington, and I didn't know about it, so I didnt have any gear with me to fish it! :( What a bummer!

Nice pics by the way and great report!

Thanks For sharing..

Fisherman57
11-27-2007, 03:00 PM
:appl:

Spectacular.

victor101
11-27-2007, 03:05 PM
Thanks for the report Sansou....hmm.... I think i might just have to take up trout fishing. Looks like fun.

rusty6
11-27-2007, 04:02 PM
those are some beautiful trout, looks like an awesome trip. thanks for the report

Beeracuda211
11-27-2007, 04:43 PM
Wheres the stripers?? LOL Nice pics dude... I have some stuff that would kill up there.. Count me in for the next one... lol

Helloooo Helllloooooo lol

B/C

Granny Fish
11-27-2007, 07:47 PM
Great report! Love the pictures. Nothing as satifying as back country fishing. Thanks for sharing. I'm going to want to get some of those "places to try" :wink:

WAVEMHOME
11-27-2007, 08:53 PM
AWESOME!

ironshrimp
11-27-2007, 10:23 PM
dude, you're such a ho! my life sucks...you werent kiddin' when you were going off about trout fishin'...what a kick ayzz report...I'm actually seriously thinkin of takin up some freshwater now...even if it has to be Balboa lake...LOL...seriously Rich, you've gotta show me the ropes on this trout deal...what gorgeous scenery and colorful fish...gods wonderful creations...neat neat neat...keep ''em comin' holmes!!!!

BBL2Baja
11-28-2007, 05:52 PM
AWESOME report Rich! That's troutin'!
Beautiful colors on all your catches. Very nice, I'm totally jealous! No powerbait or crawlers to be found. :wink:
:thumb:

Later,
Scott

TroutOnly
11-28-2007, 06:47 PM
GREAT REPORT AND BEAUTIFUL PICS, IM JEALOUS SANSOU,I LIVED I N COLORADO FOR TWO YEARS FISHED THE UPPER SALIDA AND THE UPPER COLORADO RIVER A BUNCH OF TIMES ITS A BEAUTIFUL STATE AND THE ARE JUST AS COOL,,,t/o

paDDy
11-29-2007, 09:48 AM
Dammmmm, you wern't kidding on how nice it is up there. Put me on the list Rich Beerqueer and I are ready for some fish killing lessons :mrgreen:. Those are some nice fish full of color, dam I want to fish :roll:

eldo69
11-29-2007, 09:15 PM
very cool

olfishergal
11-29-2007, 10:25 PM
great pics and way too cool..........congrats on a great trip