PDA

View Full Version : Dinosaur fishing

plumbertom
11-25-2007, 10:51 PM
Not much traffic this morning as I drove down the 101 and then south on the 405 to get to Rays house this morning. Course it always helps to be driving on a Sunday morning before 6AM.
Left Ray's and a quick stop at McD's for some breakfast sandwiches and up PCH to Marina Del Rey harbour where we launched under a high over cast sky.
Picked up a scoop of 'dines at the bait receiver and headed out about 6 miles to the edge of the shelf. Tied up a two hook rig with 10 oz. weight baited with 3'' Gulp curly tail grub on the top hook and a live sardine with a gulp tag for a kicker on the bottom and dropped it over the side in 200' of water.
Ray was fishing 'dines top ad bottom.
We were fishing a 15' high rise on the bottom that a commercial lobster/crab crew had set their pots on, drifting among the pots.
I pulled up a couple of Stary rockfish about 5'' long then Ray starts pulling in his line on that pol cue he uses for rock fish, and danged if he don't pull in a ling cod about 22'' long. (Legal is 24'')
While he was unhooking it I grabbed my camera and took a shot just before he dropped it over the side.
We moved back down wind for another drift and this time it was my turn to pull a shorty which I released in good condition after a photo.
One more pass through and one more short ling for Ray and that was it for lings for the day. We hit a few more spots for some more small starys and a couple of really small chili peppers and then ran back to the harbour and headed home.
We took no fish home but had a nice morning of fishing. You could look just north of where we were fishing and see the sky line above Malibu where yesterdays fires were out.
The sun never broke through the high clouds and there was a little surface chop which made for a bumpy ride in.

See the photos at;
http://picasaweb.google.com/plumbertom1/MDR

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote"!
Benjamin Franklin

steve092
11-26-2007, 04:26 PM
Sounds like a good day out there.
No keepers, but you still caught some.
Nice!

JapanRon
11-30-2007, 10:16 AM
Hi plumbertom,

Great report and appreciate the pic. Pretty easy to embed it in the message with a try or two. Good to read you had a little action and good time on the water. How well I know how unimportant it is to take fishys home ....... especially if no one is expecting them for dinner!! I caught a little guy Tuesday, knew the typical head-shake and also knew fishy would be short. But ...... that's ok too!

JapanRon