PDA

View Full Version : FYI: Baum Lake

Trout-Tuna-For.Me
11-24-2007, 02:10 PM
Has anyone ever been to Baum Lake? It's near Burney and Old Station northeast of Mt Lassen. FYI....it's open all year for some great trout fishing. No gas motors allowed on the lake but small boats with electric trolling motors and float tubes are the best way to catch rainbows and browns using either baits, lures, or flies (mostly nymphs and streamers). Already some snow on the ground, so take your tire chains and have a safe trip. :thumb:

Troutman65
11-29-2007, 12:06 AM
Thanks for the post. 8)

TM65

sky
12-16-2007, 02:56 AM
I've been to Baum Lake in the summertime, but never this late in the season. The lake is open to fishing year-round, but the best time of year to hook a large-size trout is from December through February. You're looking at the highs around 46 and the lows in the 20's in this area so bundle up! Only electic motors are allowed.

Baum Lake is planted annually by the Department of Fish and Game with 6,000 brown trout in the 6 to 8 inch class, and 18,500 rainbow trout in the 10 to 12 inch class. The species of fish at Baum Lake include rainbow, brown and brook trout.

It doesn't get a lot of foot or boat traffic - mainly fishermen and kayakers, and fishermen fishing from kayaks. The handful of times I have been there, there were only 5 cars in the parking lot, which if I recall correctly wasn't paved, and would be a real pill to drive on if it recently rained. There's a small area to fish from the shore and a small dock that is slippery than slick ice, due to the hundereds of geese and duck do-do droppings that you have to manuever around like landmines. :roll:

There's a vault toilet but no running water which would be helpful to wash off the yellow algae and bird poop that clings onto the bottom of your boat and legs when you launch.

Directions: From the town of Fall River Mills, take Highway 299 west nine-point-four miles to Cassel Road (FR7R01) and turn left. Drive two miles to Hat Creek Road/Powerhouse Road and turn left on Baum Lake Road. Drive one-point-one miles. Look for the lake entrance on the left. There's a primitive campground on the right directly across the road.

Fisher-of-Men
12-18-2007, 11:31 PM
Great info Sky! :wink:

Merry Christmas!

Fisher-of-Men

littletroutchaser
12-29-2007, 02:21 PM
hey,,,they got some nice browns......