PDA

View Full Version : Hi Everyoone-I'm new here

FishingMom
11-24-2007, 11:40 AM
Hi everyone!

I'm new here-I've fished on and off (freshwater) since I was a kid (Grandpa took me when I was little and it sorta " stuck")

I've lived in SoCal about 10 years, and have taken/taught my son to fish (on shore)...but I just bought a little boat so he isn't stuck bumping elbows with everybody else (I Live in the high desert-and I cannot stand Hesperia Lake, the water is nasty and I wouldn't want to eat anything coming out of that place anymore, its really gone downhill) and I have also taken him to Jess Ranch lakes and also to Mojave Narrows. We 've had our share of being skunked.

Anyway, my son is now 14, doesn't know about the boat yet-he'll be here 2nd week of December for his Christmas vacation...so of course he and Mom will be going fishing!

Does anyone have any tips on places to take a small boat in my area? I do have one place I can go for free, a friend lives at Silver Lakes in Helendale and I've heard the fishing there is good? Don't know if that is true-or not?

Trout is our favorite...crappie is second on the list...but we'll always be happy to catch a healthy lookin' catfish! The biggest thing is NOT getting skunked, that is REALLY disappointing to a kid.

Attached is a pic of my boy with his first ever catch a couple of years ago (I sure was one proud Mom!!) and of my "new" boat. I can't wait to get it out on the water someplace.

http://turtlestuff.com/boat1.JPG
http://turtlestuff.com/nickysfish3.jpg

trail blazer
11-24-2007, 12:02 PM
WHAT A MOM!!!!!!!!! youre great mom, im not from that area so i cant really help but im sure somebody will, and welcome to F,N,N

tacklejunkie
11-24-2007, 02:37 PM
Way to go on the boat surprise!
You might try Cleghorn Cove at Silverwood. It's off the 138 heading east from the high desert 11 miles past the 15fwy. Grab two cups of nightcrawlers and some anchovies from the bait shop on the way down the 138, 7 miles before the lake.
Lots of trout action up there right now, and Cleghorn cove has a 5mph speed limit for boats so you won't get washed around by the skiers. A bunch of catfish on the prowl as well. Fish the bottom for cats with anchovies or nightcrawlers and split shot the nightcrawlers with a slow retrieve for the trout!
I can't guarantee you a skunk free trip, but if you fish at each of the couple of different docks in the Cleghorn cove of Silverwood you should be able to hook into something! Dress very warm! It's cold up there right now.

SoCalGuy7
11-24-2007, 03:36 PM
Yeah, Silverwood is a nice lake ! You might even hook a striper...

SCG7

newbefisher
11-24-2007, 06:36 PM
I would agree, I would try Silverwood. I was able to make it to the inlet in my porta-bote (with only a 2hp outboard), so if you wanted to head out that far you should be fine. Plus I doubt there are as many lake lice as there was this summer. Thought I wasn't going to make it a couple of times. :titanic:

FISH ON
11-24-2007, 08:44 PM
welcome to FNN. fishingmom . i dont live in your area so i have no clue of where to go. but im looking foward to reading your reports and wish you all the luck on putting your son on a great fishing trip.

FishingMom
11-24-2007, 09:43 PM
Hi again everybody, many thanks for the warm welcome!

I've been to Silverwood, but I have never fished there, sounds like a plan! I do know about bundling up-I think I live as high if not higher in elevation than the lake is-and yea, it's COLD! I found a web site that has pretty decent maps of Silverwood-I think I need to make a boat reservation? Sounds like an excellent suggestion!

The boat is 12', the outboard is 7.5 HP, it has a Minn-Kota troller-I still need to get a battery....(didn't realize how much those cost-owch) but it has everything else we need. I'd love to find someplace quiet to drop the anchor-and Cleghorn Cove sounds like the perfect place.

I do think my son is going to be one surprised little dood. He has NO idea...and I can't wait to see the look on his face-I can hardly stand the waiting myself... :mrgreen:

Oh, and what the heck is a lake lice, a big boat?

SoCalGuy7
11-24-2007, 10:50 PM
Yeah, Cleghorn is your best bet, or Miller....

Lake lice are the crowds, people making it tough on fishermen with their boats and waverunners... :titanic:

SCG7

fgibbons7
11-25-2007, 12:26 AM
it's always good to see a new fisherman opp's woman thats a cute boat but watch your self out there at silverwood the wind could catch you and you'll be in the drink, it got me in the canoe one day and wash me to shore check your wether be for you go
http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/forecasts/graph ... x.php#tabs (http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/forecasts/graphical/sectors/lox.php#tabs)
this is the best give you wind speed, waves, and much more.
good luck, waiting to read your report

FishingMom
11-25-2007, 11:48 AM
Thanks for the awesome link! Ya, the last thing I want to do is end up overboard-expecially during the winter...BRRRR...not on my list of things to do. I live in the foothills between AV and Lucerne, so if it's windy here, I know it's going to be windy there as well.

One thing to always remember out here is that wind does pick up big time in the afternoons, mornings are usually pretty calm.

FishingMom
11-25-2007, 11:49 AM
OK! Now I know what a "lake lice" is, LOL at that!! :mrgreen:

Nessie Hunter
11-25-2007, 04:43 PM
FishingMom , Welcome... :D

I live in Hesperia. And fish often.. Silverwood is a good local lake and fairly inexpensive also $8 for entry & $8 to launch a boat..

If you can get on Silver lakes I would recommend it for a new boater, lots can happen with a new boat and inexperienced boaters.... When you get comfortable with the boat and its operation then a larger lake would be OK ... Safety First .....

Spring Valley Lake is also an option if you know a resident... These lakes are great for tuning the boat, finding out how it works and building confidence in yourself and the boat..... :thumb:

fishfinder
11-25-2007, 05:14 PM
What a great mom :banana: glad to see ya stepping up for the dad. my mod used to take us fishing when we were kids, and i never forgot it on mothers day.
when or if we start getting rains. try fishing for trout where the streams run in. lip ripperz are dynamite when the trout are real shalow.

Troutman65
11-25-2007, 09:26 PM
Welcome to FNN. 8) you take your son fishing. I am sure the both of you will have some great times on the new boat.

Troutman65

Fisherman57
11-25-2007, 09:41 PM
A belated CONGRATS to your son on his FIRST FISH!........
and welcome to FNN!

WAVEMHOME
11-26-2007, 05:28 PM
GOOD JOB MOM!

Ambassadorhawg
11-26-2007, 06:53 PM
Hi Mom,

Silverwood is a fun place, good catfishing, stripers, trout, sunfish and some bass. But it can get very rough from the wind.
If I were you, I'd take advantage of boating on Silver lake because not just anyone can go there since it's private. There is great populations of sunfish in there and we get lots of bass, too. It's very peaceful compared to public waters. I've been on it a few times with a friend. Good fun!

Good fishing,
Ambassadorhawg

Fisher-of-Men
11-27-2007, 04:00 PM
Welcome to FNN and congrats on the nice Kitty! :wink:

Fisher-of-Men

FishingMom
12-05-2007, 09:01 PM
Thanks so much for all of the tips everyone!

I'm going to be taking the boat out to Silver Lakes first for a test run before he gets here-I DO hope there is trout in there-that's what I'm always after-that or Crappie/Sun Fish...my son on the other hand is out to catch anything that he can...the rush of reeling one in is a real high for him. (Well, I think that's true of most of us) I've been getting ready for his arrival here by filling up the tackle boxes and saving 4 a marine battery. We've got enough gear to last us awhile! :mrgreen:

I really don't want to take the boat out somewhere "bigger" until I'm really comfortable with it-and that IS excellent advice. I don't know anyone that lives at Spring Valley Lake though, just Silver Lakes. Whenever I've been visiting there though it's weird, you see people out on thier pontoons, but hardly EVER see anyone fishing? That's just so odd to me! My friend lives ON the lake, you'd think her kids would be tossing in a line a day, but...nope! (They don't even own fising poles!) That's OK, more fish for us! :banana: (I LOL at that banana!)

I finally got the garage cleaned out, the boat is backed into there-so that when my son gets here from his Dad's he won't have any idea its there until I drag him outta bed at 4 AM to tell him I need him to help me with chores...hee hee!! I can hardly stand the waiting-to see the look on that kid's face when I tell him to get off his lazy butt and wake up to go get a rake outta the garage...

Troutman65
12-05-2007, 11:50 PM
8)

TM65

saintarv
12-06-2007, 08:44 AM
Welcome!

Granny Fish
12-06-2007, 10:41 AM
I can hardly stand the waiting-to see the look on that kid's face when I tell him to get off his lazy butt and wake up to go get a rake outta the garage...

I can hardly wait for the first report after he gets that boat. Good job MOM! :banana:

one_leg
12-06-2007, 11:57 AM
I can't believe I missed this thread.

Good luck, and have fun!!!

One_Leg

WARRIORMIKE
12-13-2007, 08:03 PM
Glad to have you on the board. I hope that you gain valuable information here to help you catch and be more knowledgeable in the art of fishing.

Mike

Striper Bill
01-11-2008, 11:38 AM
:) Welcome aboard!!!
Striper Bill

abne
01-14-2008, 09:47 PM
Welcome to the board :lol:. If you still need or want a battery that you can use for your trolling motor I have one you can have for free. It came out of my boat that I sold last June. I know it is still in good and if nothing else you could use it for a spare. Call (760) 792-0330 and I live in Hesperia close to Bear Valley Road & I Ave. Its here if you want it.

Watch the wind at Lake Silverwood! I have caught lots of fish there and had fun times. I have been skunked though, still better than work.

Good luck to you and your son,

abne / Bill Nelson

FishingMom
01-14-2008, 10:33 PM
Hi Everyone,

Well so much for taking my son out in the new boat-6 days before he got here-I fell through a glass table and nearly bled to death- and it's taken me a solid month to start feeling better (and able to walk without crutches.) I'd post pix of my leg, but...they're yucky (unless you like that sort of thing) Maybe I should post one-it'll make ya think twice about having glass furniture in your house...never again in my house, ever.

O M G He is in LOVE with the boat!!!! :banana: I guess Momma did OK after all!

He knows how bad I wanted to take him fishing-but he was really cool about it, he understood I was in no shape to do anything like that-so...March (Spring Break) it is!

I can't wait, neither can he. Broke my heart not being able to take him out in that boat after all the planning I did-
I did wake him up at 4 AM and told him to get his butt into the garage, I needed firewood-you shoulda seen the look on his face, he was so sleepy he walked past it at first! Then...I got that..."hey....wait a minute!!" look...truly priceless. :mrgreen:

Hey I'd love that battery, that's so thoughtful of you!!! Thank you! I'll give you a holler tomorrow, I'm out near Lucerne-but I'm out your way at least once a week. No Silverwood for me, not until I get used to this boat, AND it isn't windy.

troutdog
01-15-2008, 12:35 AM
Hey FishingMom a belated welcome, but more importantly my sincere condolences for your unfortunate accident. OMG how terrible that must have been...I wish you the best in your recovery and future health.

Hope you are out fishing real soon,

TD

IncredibleHuck
01-15-2008, 12:39 AM
Hey FishingMom a belated welcome, but more importantly my sincere condolences for your unfortunate accident. OMG how terrible that must have been...I wish you the best in your recovery and future health.

Hope you are out fishing real soon,

TD

I gotta agree with TD. I'll keep ya in my prayers and for a speedy recovery!

Fishing Mama
01-15-2008, 01:51 PM
:) Hello FishingMom.
Fishing Mama here a belated welcome, and sorry about your unfortunate accident hope your feeling better. I'll keep you in my prayers.
Fishing Mama

Granny Fish
01-15-2008, 04:21 PM
OMG! Fell through a table? I'm sure there is an interesting story in there some place. :wink: Speedy recovery.

one_leg
01-18-2008, 06:10 AM
I do not like glass tables either. :twisted:

But at least you are gonna get to go fishing once you are all healed up!

One_Leg

cornbaitkid
01-18-2008, 03:27 PM
my mom gets mad when I go fishing.

xtranzman
02-09-2008, 08:16 PM
Welcome!!!

X

pappi
02-14-2008, 07:05 PM
i know there is some good bass fishing and not a lot of boats in spring valley. or you could wait a couple of weeks and silverwood will be good. i think trout stock is next thursday21

Hitts0n
03-11-2008, 08:09 PM
wELCOME TO THE RIDE ! looking forward to seeing you at out events !

Troutman65
03-26-2008, 06:08 PM
Fishing Mama, I just reread this and I hope you have recovered and are much better. That must of sucked . Looking forward to your fishing reports.

Troutman65

WARRIORMIKE
03-28-2008, 11:11 AM
Welcome to the board, I can't wait to see all of your fish reports and pictures from them too.

WarriorMike