PDA

View Full Version : Kayaks.. considering buying.. need input!

drivelikejoewho
11-21-2007, 01:25 PM
Hi There,

I'll be moving to the Belmont Shore area in Long Beach soon. I want to buy a kayak to putt around in Alamitos Bay and to do some fishing. I have a few questions:

1. Where is the best place to buy a kayak new/used?
2. I notice they start around $400 or so new. What is better about the more expensive models?
3. Is there a particular brand or model I should be looking into based off what I want to do?
4. I will live fairly close to the water but will need my car to get it there. I drive a 2004 Honda Accord. Is this even feasible? Do I need a car rack? I'll be going maybe .5 miles at the most and more likely a block or two.
5. What kinda accessories are necessary or nice to have and what do they cost?
6. If I get lazy, can you put a trolling motor on one of these?

Thanks for anyone who gives input! Feel free to add any additional advice as well.

cappo
11-21-2007, 09:35 PM
Hi There,

I'll be moving to the Belmont Shore area in Long Beach soon. I want to buy a kayak to putt around in Alamitos Bay and to do some fishing. I have a few questions:

try craigslist or other sites, pm me if you need info
2. I notice they start around $400 or so new. What is better about the more expensive models?
stability,speed,storage,etc.
3. Is there a particular brand or model I should be looking into based off what I want to do?
its up to you to decide, i would definitely try out a few models.
I'm stuck on either a Hobie w/pedal system or a Tarpon 160
4. I will live fairly close to the water but will need my car to get it there. I drive a 2004 Honda Accord. Is this even feasible? Do I need a car rack? I'll be going maybe .5 miles at the most and more likely a block or two.
unless you want to carry it you wont need one. But I would get one so you can yak other spots
rod holders, bait tank, etc.
if you put on a trolling motor, then I believe you'll need to register it with DMV

Thanks for anyone who gives input! Feel free to add any additional advice as well.

rocklee
11-22-2007, 12:15 PM
wow lots of questions, let see

I brought mine used from craigslist, Kayak are made tough, buying a used one would save alot of money.
I brought a Cobra Kayak for $500, new would have cost $1200

Like what cappo said
stability,speed,storage,

I seen alot more ocean kayak brand alot being sold.
I guess its because lots of store carry it.
When I was kayaking at newport harbor, I also saw alot of Cobra Kayak

If you only taking it 0.5 mile, I don't think you need a car rack.
Just use one of those Cartop Canoe Carriers with Foam Blocks
I brought one for myself for $30 at Sports Authority

Of course you will have to have a life vest. from $50 to Alot of money
Get a life vest that is made for paddling, they are much more comfortable when
you are kayak. Of you can get a inflatable life vest, you won't even know what you
are wearing one.

I seen it done before. You just need to register the kayak at the DMV if you wish
to put a motor on it

You can always rent a kayak to see which one you like
http://www.beachcalifornia.com/californ ... ntals.html (http://www.beachcalifornia.com/california-kayaking-kayak-rentals.html)
I have two kayaks, a pelican kayak two person kayak that I brought at
Sports Authority for $430. After me and my buddy tried it out. I found out
that two person kayak is hard to use. So them I brought a single person, much better.
The two person kayak has a width of 36'' which makes it very stable. Where as my
Cobra is only 28'' unstable but very very fast.

Hope this helps
You can pm me if you have any other questions, I'm happy to help

MexicanPistachio
11-22-2007, 01:28 PM
I bought a malibu 2 kayak from sports chalet for $430 a few months ago and love it. Kinda hard to use it solo. You can rent them at sports chalet and if you decide to buy it they'll sell it minus the rental fee. As far as accessories i have seats ( makes a Big difference) and made my paddle leash, pole holders.

aftahour
11-26-2007, 08:30 AM
check out this place. http://www.oexsunsetbeach.com/ they have a great selection of new and used yaks.. they will also let u test ride the yak so u know what to expect and they are very close by LBC area.. ask for Andy he is a great guy w/ alot of info..