PDA

View Full Version : CLAMS

fishshep
11-21-2007, 06:09 AM
Does anyone know if Rincon has Clams in the sand now ? Years ago before the La Concita mud slide we used to get them 5in. in size ! at minus tide. Small pieces on a #6 hook were like candy to perch ! Finely have two days off in a row next week so would like to know so I could go :) :?: or not.

diamondbear
11-21-2007, 07:03 PM
hey fishhp. . this is the time of year that i dive for pismo clams at Silver Strand beach in ventura co. iam not sure about Rincon thou but iam sure the clams are still there if you can reach the low tide beachs . you might want to give gold coast scuba 1805/652-0321 or ocean antics 1805/652-1600 a call and ask them , both in ventura . in ventura my clams are 5 - 5.50 in. and i love getting these clams its pretty easy and way fun and good eating . let me know on how you do as iam getting ready for another trip to ventura co. good luck // db

spartafish
11-26-2007, 11:23 PM
diamondbear,

if you dont mind me asking, how do you dive for clams...
do you free dive for them or scuba. could you do either.
i thought you dug for them? how deep of water are they
in.

Sparky70
11-27-2007, 06:19 PM
Diamondbear,

Got a question? Where do you catch those Clams with a Beard :offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic: on them. Are they good eating?

Greg Madrigal
11-28-2007, 04:18 PM
Sparky! Shame on you! This is a family forum!....Oh wait, That's where families come from!!! LOL!!!!! :lol: :lol:

GM

Granny Fish
11-28-2007, 07:06 PM
Suddenly, I'm hungry for some clam chower. Greg, you get the clams, I'll make the chowder. :wink:

diamondbear
11-28-2007, 07:49 PM
I was told about silver strand beach [ ventura co. ] many years ago by an article by dale sheckler [ publisher of california diving news ] its the best pismo clam spot along the south coast . free diving for pismos is possible but i use scuba just 50-100 yards from shore in about 10-25 ft. of water . [ skill level at intermediate to advanced with surf entry and exit experience a must ] park your car at La Jennelle park . pism clams are the most meaty and tasty of the clams available in the southern half of the state . you can look for the twin siphons sticking out just above sand and then dig , fast with a abalone bar , but i just cruise around and look for the many sand dollar beds and the clams are just below the surface . you'll need a measuring device and a bag that will hold ten clams at 3 lbs. each [ 30lbs. ] i get my limit in about 15 minutes with little else to see or do . legal size is 4.50 inches and at silver strand there at 5 - 5.50 inches , rarley bigger . cleaning pismo clams and saving there natural jucies for a chowder and nearly all the meat is useable [ discard the darkest portions] I'll somtimes dip the meat in tampura and fry . ive heard of people digging for clams above water here at low tides a little more searching iam sure but its just like an easter egg hunt and just being at the beach is fun . ///have fun // db

Troutman65
11-29-2007, 12:51 AM
I like the clam chowder at the Crab Cooker. MMMMMM Tasty. Manhatton style is my fav. All though, up in Seattle, there is a place called Ivers that sells some really exellent New England style that I aquired a tast for .

Thanks for the post.

Troutman65

olfishergal
11-29-2007, 08:53 PM
Nothing better than fried clams and chowder.........gl getting some...wonder if i should head up to Pismo with my fork and dig for a few.

IncredibleHuck
11-29-2007, 11:12 PM
I like the clam chowder at the Crab Cooker. MMMMMM Tasty. Manhatton style is my fav. All though, up in Seattle, there is a place called Ivers that sells some really exellent New England style that I aquired a tast for .

Thanks for the post.

Troutman65

I've heard of the crab cooker but never ate there, but the best clam chowder I had either came from Kings Fish House, or a restuarant I ate in New Hampshire once....mmmmmmmmmmm

Granny Fish
11-30-2007, 10:17 AM
Best clam chowder is home made. :wink: Big soup pot, eat all you want. :lol:

one_leg
11-30-2007, 10:28 AM
Diamondbear,

Got a question? Where do you catch those Clams with a Beard :offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic: on them. Are they good eating?

There are still populations in Australia, Brazil, and Europe.

They were once used to make beer, if you can believe that.

One_Leg

PS Greg, you are too much. Lets go fishing/hooping.

diamondbear
11-30-2007, 02:28 PM
when sparky 70 ask that quest. it went right over my head and i was thinking WHAATT ? but to answer that ques. there very good eating and they taste like TACOS , ha // db

olfishergal
11-30-2007, 06:20 PM
any good places to dig for them around here?

kanco
12-12-2007, 08:34 AM
Pismo Clams

Thanks for the tip! I have to give this a try soon. Here is the info on the clams, taken from the CA Reg.

29.40. Pismo Clams.
(a) Open season: May be taken in Santa Cruz and Monterey counties September 1 through
April 30. In all other counties, except in state marine reserves or other marine protected areas
which prohibit the take of clams (see Section 632), Pismo clams may be taken at any time of the
year.
(b) Limit: Ten.
(c) Minimum size: Five inches in greatest shell diameter north of the boundary between San
Luis Obispo and Monterey counties; four and one-half inches in greatest shell diameter south of
the boundary, between San Luis Obispo and Monterey counties.
(d) Clam preserves: No clams shall be taken within state marine reserves or other marine
protected areas which prohibit the take of clams (see Section 632).

olfishergal
12-12-2007, 09:54 PM
Thanks for the 411.........clam chowder sounds so good on these cold nights......