PDA

View Full Version : new pier fisherman

t-man-13
11-19-2007, 07:22 PM
plan to go to ventura pier to fish for leopard shark/anything big(rays,skates). plan on going after sundown within next 2 weeks. any suggestions as to peir location,time of day? Thanx.

LiveweLLunker
11-20-2007, 03:56 PM
Best bet if you are trying for sharks is at the end of the pier. Cast as far out as you can, most of the sharks that I've caught have come when I cast way out towards deeper water. Try to catch some fresh mackeral when you get there, (I use surf leaders with two hooks and bait it with mussels. works really well.) After you get some fresh bait you can either cut the macks up into chunks, about 2-3 pieces and throw them out on a large circle hook or if you want to go for the larger variety, put the whole mack (nose hook) with a circle hook and put a stinger on the back with a rubber band(http://www.blueoceantackle.com/shark_leaders.htm) . Cut off part of the tail to put some blood in the water and throw it out. Hopefully, when you get your shark the best thing to do if you don't have a pier gaff is to walk the shark back down the peir towards the beach and fight it from shore. Done that a bunch of times and it allows you to release them easier if you aren't planning on keeping what you catch. Good times for catching sharks range from early morning to sunset. Usually during the time of day when sunlight is fading. High tide is also a key to catching these guys. The higher the tide the more willing the sharks will be to come in and feed. Although I have caught them during low tide as well.
As far as how much luck you are going to have, I don't know. The water is getting pretty cold so the deeper you can get the bait the better. Good luck and watch your fingers.

t-man-13
11-20-2007, 04:13 PM
Thanx for the info.,sounds like some good solid advice. Tony