PDA

View Full Version : SM 11/15 Evening low tide- Late report-

Ready 2 Go
11-19-2007, 05:03 PM
Work has been hectic and time consuming, and I was beginning to exhibit severe symptoms of LOF (Lack of Fishing) syndrome- irritability, lack of concentration, excessive internet fishing and purposeless tackle shopping. The disease had spread to my son.

I had hoped that a break in the schedule would lead to an early afternoon trip, but meetings didn’t end till after 3:00. Rushed to pick him up, then swung by my brother house to change out of work clothes. I told him, “Grab your license, put on shorts. Lets go.” Five minutes later, we are driving along the shore. Conditions look favorable, small waves, no much wind, ok water clarity.

We fished hard bait, and c-rigged grubs, left the Gulp on the table on the way out the door. After a few casts I help my son with release of a perch, and hand my brother my set-up with the hard bait. On his first cast, he hooks a fish. Initially, he is unsure whether he is hooked up or on salad, but I seen line moving against the current. Fish on! A dark pectoral fin breaks the surface and we witness a 2+-ft swell shark head against the waves towards the setting sun. The line goes slack. After he reels in the line without my hard bait, I search for answers. It doesn’t look like knot failure. I realize that drag was probably too tight; I had yet to decrease the drag from the previous rinse off. I also not got a chance to inspect the line for nicks or abrasion. Another le$$son learned.

I switch to swim bait and we alternate rods. My bother catches a nice thick BSB as my son investigates a stingray on the beach. Not wanting to get skunked, I fish the grub and land a BSP.

The sun slips below the water line and we head in. Smiles all around. :D

We had a trout seminar to attend at 7:00. After the seminar, I buy a replacement hard bait. :x

I feel cured from LOF syndrome.

Ready to Go

CoffeaRobusta
11-19-2007, 08:44 PM
Nice report. I hate LOF and try to avoid it at all costs.